Chapter 23

"It's a lie! It must be!"

I don't see why finding out that that scientist was your father should anger you so, Jenova said.

The Masamune sliced through the air in broad arcs, so fast that it fairly screamed. "Hojo? That bastard? Godsdamnit, it can't be true."

And why not?

"I am nothing like Hojo," he growled. Sephiroth wished the Professor could be here right now, so that he could rip him to pieces. It was not enough that he had died. Sephiroth had wanted to kill him with his own two hands. "It must be a lie. They're all lies."

You must admit that there is human in you. It had to have come from somewhere.

"But from him?"

So what if you are related? What difference does it make?

Sephiroth drove the Masamune into the ground and leaned on its hilt. "You do not seem to understand. I don't want any connection to that man. None. I thought... that I had gotten away from him entirely, but now it seems that there is some of him inside of me. I cannot rid myself of that."

When you become a god, you can do whatever you please, Jenova reminded him. So if you desire freedom from him, you can take it then.

"That is true," he admitted. "But until then..." He closed his eyes momentarily. "Mother... what of this Lucrecia woman? Who was she?"

She was the human woman who gave birth to you. Nothing more.

Nothing more? He shook his head. Aeris had tried to tell him about Lucrecia before. She had tried to tell him that Jenova was not his mother. And perhaps she wasn't, perhaps the Cetra was right, but in the end, what did it matter? He was going to become a god, and then, none of this would matter.

He pulled the Masamune from the ground and turned for the tunnel that would take him back to where Holy lay caged. It would not be long now. Cloud and the others would be coming soon.

But he had to wonder: why had Aeris gone to Midgar?


Nanaki bounded up the steps from his usual haunt to join the others in their circle around Cloud and Tifa. Yuffie, Vincent, and Reno came in from the deck to join them, all three of them looking exhausted. Vincent's scent made Nanaki's nostrils flare, and he did not doubt that the man had recently transformed, especially considering his state of dress, but the scent was completely unfamiliar. A new demon. He dismissed the worrisome thought from his mind when Yuffie sat down beside him to stroke his mane.

Reeve arrived with Aeris a minute or so later. She avoided everyone's anxious gazes and moved to stand beside Reno.

"How are you feeling, Aeris?" It was Cloud who spoke, but the question was on everyone's face. That, and a want to know what she had had to leave them for, but Nanaki doubted she would explain. Especially because it likely had to do with Hojo.

"I'm fine, Cloud," she replied, meeting his gaze and offering him a slight smile. "Everyone else looks worse off than me."

Reno shrugged. "Don't worry about us, 'ris. We'll be all right with a little sleep."

She nodded slightly and fell silent.

"Anyway," Cloud said with a faint frown, "I think everyone knows what I'm going to say. There's nothing left for us to do but fight Sephiroth. I know I've said before that we were going to confront him and take him down, but this time, he's waiting for us. I can feel it. He's not going to disappear and leave us behind this time; he's going to fight us. It's not going to be easy, so I have to ask that each of you think about why you're here now and make sure that you really want to come with me this time."

"What the fuck's there to think about?" Cid asked with a grin. "You know we're all comin'."

"There's a good chance that none of us will make it out of there alive," Cloud told him seriously.

"Hasn't it always been like that?"

"'sides," Yuffie put in, "you're gonna need all the help you can get to defeat Sephiroth."

Tifa shook her head. "Even so, even if you're all sure you're coming, you need to be sure of your reasons. There's no room for doubt this time. It's distracting. It can get you killed."

"Reasons?" Barret repeated. "We're fightin' for the Planet, aren't we?"

"We say that," Cloud conceded, "but how many of us really think about that first? Aeris maybe; the Planet means more to her. But the rest of us? We're in this for revenge, or to protect someone. We're not thinking about the Planet when we fight."

The big man nodded. "Guess you're right. I'm doin' this for Marlene, too."

"Yeah, sayin' shit like 'it's for the Planet' does make it sound all noble," Cid admitted, "but that's sure as hell not the only reason I'm fightin'."

"And why are you fighting, Cid?" Tifa asked, a playful smile crossing her face.

"What is this? Fucking show-and-tell? I don't gotta say a damn thing."

Several of them laughed. They knew Cid's reasons more than likely involved a certain woman named Shera back in Rocket Town, but the pilot would never admit it.

Once their smiles had faded, Cloud spoke again. "We're headed to Snow Village first to get supplies. I know everybody's tired, so get some rest now if you can. And think about why you're doing this. It's good to have something real to fight for."

No one missed the look he cast in Tifa's direction, or the way both their faces lit up when their gazes met. Nanaki exchanged glances with Yuffie, and she grinned, flashing him a thumb's up.

"Not so hopeless after all," he remarked quietly.

"Guess not," she agreed.

He nodded, then hesitated. "You look tired, Yuffie."

"Yeah, I am. I've never been able to sleep on this thing before, but I think at this point I could fall asleep on a roller coaster. It's been a long day."

"Indeed. Shall I keep you company?"

She smiled. "Sure, Red. C'mon, let's hit the sack before all the good rooms are taken."


Dawn would not arrive for several more hours, but there was light enough. It was a cloudless night in the North, and the sky was lit up with both starlight, and the angry red fire that was Meteor. The village lay blanketed in snow, as always, and glowed faintly with reflected light. Nanaki walked just ahead, his fiery tail lighting the path into the village.

Aeris hung back by the entrance, captivated by the sight of this place that looked like something out of a dream. She had been here before, what seemed like ages ago. In reality, that brief visit could not have been two weeks ago. Here, Sephiroth had let her stop for a meal, and then he had taken her to her parents' house to show her their fate. Back then, she had still held so much hope that he might change. Very little remained now.

"Something wrong?" Reno asked.

She looked at him, took a moment to process the question, and finally shook her head. "No. I was just thinking about the last time I passed through here."

"With Sephiroth, right?"

She nodded, looking away from him to watch the rest of her friends continue up the path to the inn. Only Yuffie glanced back to see if they were following, and she went on after only a moment's hesitation.

"Did something happen here?"

"I found out that this is my birthplace," she said. "And that Professor Gast was my father."

"You didn't know?"

She shook her head.

"Why would Sephiroth tell you?"

"Because he got to show me how my father died," she answered quietly.

"Oh." The redhead was silent for a moment. "Well, come on, let's catch up with the others. Maybe we'll get to sleep in a real bed for a while."

"Mm," she said, and didn't move.

"Okay, serious, 'ris, what's wrong?"

"I still don't know what I'm going to say to him when I see him again. What can I say to make him change his mind?"

"Maybe you can tell him you're pregnant?" he suggested.

Aeris looked at him sharply. "In front of everyone?"

"Isn't that the best way? You'll be showing him you're stronger than what he did to you. Besides, you need to shock him if you're gonna get him to consider anything, right?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes, I would need to shock him... but I'm not sure that's how I want to do it."

"Your friends'll find out sooner or later," Reno went on. "It's not like you can tell them it's somebody else's baby."

She frowned, hating the rationality of his argument. "And then what would I say?"

"I dunno. Isn't there anything you want to say to him?"

"I don't know. I've been trying to think for a while now, but nothing comes."

"Maybe you'll know when you see him."

"Maybe," she agreed doubtfully.

Reno said nothing and stood waiting.

"I want to be alone right now," she told him.

He looked like he'd been waiting for her to say just that. "I'll tell the others."

"Thank you. I'll be in my parents' old house if anyone needs me."

"Right," he replied, seeming to know where she meant without asking.

Aeris watched him make his way towards the inn, and then turned for the abandoned house that had belonged to Professor Gast and her mother. She wanted to watch the rest of the videos there, and to think. What could she possibly say to him?


"Oh, come on, Vinny. You can have plenty of alone time after the battle, okay?"

"No."

The sun had been up for some time, and most everyone had already left the inn in search of supplies or some last moments to think before they headed out. Yuffie tugged harder on Vincent's arm, wishing she were actually strong enough to pull him anywhere. "But I wanna hang out with you beforehand and talk to you about stuff."

"You can go with Nanaki," he said. Why didn't anyone ever succumb to her persuasive skills?

"Red's coming, too."

"Then you don't need me."

"No, but I want you to come with," she said. She let go, since it wasn't getting her anywhere, and tried the classic puppy-dog look instead. "Please?"

Vincent continued to meet her gaze, his expression not changing in the slightest.

"Your company would be much appreciated," Nanaki offered from his position near the door. "And I believe it would do you some good. Besides, it is generally easier to comply with Yuffie's wishes. She can be very persistent."

The ninja put her hands on her hips. "What's that supposed to mean?"

The feline only glanced at her with feigned oblivion.

"Very well," Vincent sighed. "I will accompany you."

"All right!" Yuffie cried triumphantly. "Now first things first, we're getting you some new clothes."

Vincent arched an eyebrow.

"Don't give me that look. You can't walk around like that, you look terrible."

"Does it matter?"

She cocked her head at him quizzically. "What's with you? The last time I dragged you out for clothes you just shrugged and went with it."

"It seems futile. We are about to fight Sephiroth, and considering the difficulty in that task, I doubt I will remain human. I may not even survive, and no one cares about clothing for a corpse."

Yuffie became suddenly anxious, and out of the corner of her eye she noticed Nanaki's tail swishing tensely. "Don't talk like that, Vinny."

"It's a possibility, Yuffie."

"No, it's not. I don't want to think about you dying, or any of us dying."

He held her gaze for a long moment, and finally nodded. "All right."

"Good." Without any further preamble, she grabbed his flesh arm and started for the door. She knew he was letting her pull him along, but it still gave her some sense of accomplishment. "If nothing else, you've gotta get some boots. You don't wanna be walking around in the crater barefoot."

Yuffie led the way to the shop where she and Tifa had picked up supplies before. She hadn't been thrilled about it then, but this time she just wanted to spend time with her friends to keep her mind off the upcoming battle. Vincent and Nanaki both made the shopkeeper uneasy, and the swift, mechanical way Vincent went about his business probably didn't help, but the woman recognized Yuffie and that seemed to set her at ease. Within minutes, they were back outside again.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Yuffie asked.

Vincent didn't reply.

"You made such a big fuss over it and we barely spent five minutes in there."

Still he said nothing. She was used to his silent nature, but they got along well enough that usually he'd at least give her some acknowledgment that he'd heard her.

Yuffie frowned, stepping in front of him to peer up into his face. "Is something bothering you, Vinny? You're being gloomier than usual."

"I am fine," he deadpanned.

"Uh-huh," she said skeptically.

"Perhaps he is simply thinking about the upcoming battle," Nanaki suggested.

Yuffie glanced down at him and then looked back at Vincent. "Don't tell me you're scared."

"Not for myself. Death is quite welcome to this body."

"You mean you're worried about the rest of us?"

He nodded.

"Wow, Vinny, I didn't know you actually cared."

That earned her another raised eyebrow.

She raised her hands, grinning sheepishly in apology. "Sorry, kidding. But I am kinda, y'know, flattered or something." She paused and then added more soberly, "Don't go saying stuff like that, though, like you wouldn't mind dying."

"I wouldn't."

"Well, I would. I'm gonna be real pissed at you if you die, you got that?"

"The rest of us would be appropriately grieved," Nanaki added with some amusement.

Vincent shook his head slowly as though in disbelief. "Why?"

"Because you're our friend," Yuffie said with emphasis. "How many times do I have to tell you that?" She planted her fists on her hips and did her best to appear threatening. "Now don't you dare even think about dying on us. If you do, I'll have to find some way to bring you back just to spite you."

The ex-Turk's expression finally softened at that. "I'll keep that in mind."

"You'd better." That settled, she turned to continue on towards the general store in search of supplies. "So, what do you plan on doing once we've won?"

"I don't know," he said with a shake of his head. "There is nothing for me to return to."

"It must be hard for you, everything being thirty years past how you left it."

"It is strange, yes."

"You could always stay with one of us until you've sorted it out," Nanaki suggested. "You will always be welcome in Cosmo Canyon."

"I can't say the same for Wutai," Yuffie admitted, "but if Dad doesn't like it, he can go f--"

"Yuffie," Nanaki interrupted sharply.

"What?"

"Be mindful of your language."

"Oh, not you, too," she groaned. Was everyone and their mom trying to stop her from cursing?

"Thank you both for your offers," Vincent said, ignoring the short exchange.

Yuffie brightened at the thought that he might actually be considering them. "Don't mention it, Vinny," she replied with a grin.

They returned to the inn with loaded arms (well, she and Vincent anyway), and after dumping everything on the floor, they just sat and talked for a while. Yuffie did most of the talking, as usual, but Nanaki obliged her well enough, and Vincent continued to put in a word or two every so often.

The others were a long time in returning, and Yuffie found herself glancing at the clock more often than she'd thought she would. It wasn't that she didn't want this time with her friends, but at the same time, she was anxious to get the whole thing over with. The longer they delayed, the harder it would be to keep from thinking about it until they were there. The last thing she wanted was to lose her nerve, and let everyone down.


< Chapter 22 | Contents | Chapter 24 >